There are some many phobias out there and technical names for them. It seems that a person can have a phobia of just about anything. A phobia can have a negative impact on a person’s life.
They may avoid certain situations and if things get real bad they may be afraid to leave their home. These are some phobias that put fear into people.
Table of Contents
- Achluphobia – This is the fear of darkness. A person with this fear needs constant light.
- Aerophobia – This is the fear of flying
- Algophobia – This is the fear of pain. while pain is unpleasant there are some people that are afraid of this feeling.
- Androphobia – This is the fear of men. A person with this fear cannot be around males.
- Anginophobia – This is a fear of choking. A person may not want to eat or may only follow a liquid diet.
- Acrophobia – Fear of heights
- Agoraphobia – Fear of open spaces or crowds
- Aichmophobia – Fear of needles or pointed objects
- Amaxophobia – Fear of riding in a car
- Anthrophobia – Fear of flowers
- Anthropophobia – Fear of people or society
- Aphenphosmphobia – Fear of being touched
- Arachnophobia – Fear of spiders
- Arithmophobia – Fear of numbers
- Astraphobia – Fear of thunder and lightning
- Ataxophobia – Fear of disorder or untidiness
- Atelophobia – Fear of imperfection
- Atychiphobia – Fear of failure
- Autophobia – Fear of being alone
- Bacteriophobia – This is the fear someone has of bacteria and coming in contact with bacteria.
- Barophobia – This is the fear of gravity
- Batrachophobia – This is the fear of amphibians. The fear of snakes is a different phobia on its own.
- Bibliophobia – Is the fear of books. A person will not touch a book.
- Botanophobia – Is the fear of plants. A person may not want to go outside since there are plants all around
- Bathmophobia – Fear of stairs or steep slopes
- Belonephobia – Fear of pins and needles
- Cacophobia – This is the fear of something ugly. This can be an object or even a person.
- Catagelophobia – This is the fear of being made fun of or ridiculed especially in a public place
- Chionophobia – This is the fear of snow. A person with this fear should probably live in a warm climate.
- Coulrophobia – Is an intense fear of clowns, clown costumes, or even a person wearing clown makeup
- Catoptrophobia – Fear of mirrors
- Chromophobia – Fear of colors
- Chronomentrophobia – Fear of clocks
- Chronophobia – Fear of Time
- Claustrophobia – Fear of confined spaces
- Cyberphobia – Fear of computers
- Cynophobia – Fear of dogs
- Dendrophobia – Is the fear of trees. A person can fear all different types of trees.
- Domatophobia – This is the fear of houses. It is hard to tell where a person with this phobia is going to live.
- Dystychiphobia – This is the fear of accident. A person often lets this fear take over their lives and will not leave their home due to the fear of something happening.
- Dentophobia – This is the fear of dentists
- Elurophobia – Is the fear of cats
- Equinophobia – Fear of horses
- Entomophobia – Is the fear of all types of insects
- Ephebiphobia – Is the fear of teenagers. A person will not be able to be around those that are in their teen years.
- Ecophobia – Fear of the home
- Gamophobia – This is the fear of marriage and getting married
- Genuphobia – Is the fear of knees, people with this fear do not want anything to do with this body part
- Gynophobia – A person with this fear is afraid of women.
- Glossophobia – Fear of speaking in public
- Heliophobia – A person fears the sun. they cannot even look at the sun
- Hydrophobia – Is a fear of water. A person will not want to go swimming and showering may take a lot of effort.
- Hypochondria – The fear of contracting an illness or getting sick. This is another condition where a person often does not want to leave their home.
- Hemophobia – Fear of blood
- Herpetophobia – Fear of reptiles
I to L
- Iatrophobia – This is a fear of doctors and visiting a doctor
- Insectophobia – This an intense fear of insects
- Koinoniphobia – This is a fear of different rooms
- Leukophobia – People with this fear do not like the color white. They will avoid anything with this color.
- Lockiophobia – Is a fear of childbirth. While being nervous about childbirth is not uncommon, people with this fear are terrified of the process
- Lilapsophobia – Fear of tornadoes and hurricanes
- Mageriocophobia – This is the fear of cooking. A person will not make anything as they are terrified.
- Megalophobia – This is the fear of large objects.
- Melanophobia – Is the fear of the color black. A person will go out of their way to avoid things with black on them.
- Microphobia – Fear of small things
- Mysophobia – Fear of dirt and germs
- Necrophobia – Is the fear of death. This fear includes being of dead things.
- Nosocomephobia – This is a fear of hospitals. Even if a person is injured they are too scared to go to a hospital.
- Noctiphobia – Fear of the night
- Nyctophobia – Fear of the dark
- Obesophobia – This is a fear of gaining weight. While staying healthy is important people with this condition are at a higher risk for developing an eating disorder.
- Ombrophobia – This is the fear of rain. A person will not leave their home if there is even a chance of rain in the forecast.
- Ornithophobia – Is the fear of all types of birds.
- Octophobia – Fear of the figure 8
- Ophidiophobia – Fear of snakes
- Pedophobia – This is the fear of children. A person with this fear cannot be around young people.
- Papyrophobia – This is the fear of all types of paper
- Pathophobia – Fear of disease
- Philophobia – Fear of love
- Phobophobia – Fear of phobias
- Podophobia – Fear of feet
- Porphyrophobia – Fear of the color purple
- Pteridophobia – Fear of ferns
- Pteromerhanophobia – Fear of flying
- Pyrophobia – Fear of fire
- Samhaninophbia – Is the fear of the holiday Halloween. A person will not participate in this holiday and they will not go out during this day.
- Selenophobia – Is a fear of the moon. If the moon is out a person with this fear will not be.
- Somniphobia – Is the fear of sleeping. A person will not want to go to sleep. Some people with this fear think that they will not be able to wake up.
- Scolionophobia – Fear of school
- Sociophobia – Fear of social evaluation
- Tachophobia – This is the fear of speeding or going fast
- Tonitrophobia – This is the fear of thunder and lightning
- Technophobia – Fear of technology
- Trypanophobia – This is the fear of needles and getting any type of injection or shots
- Trypophobia – This is the fear of irregular patterns or clusters of small holes in the body
V to Z
- Venustraphobia – Is a fear of beautiful women. A person will not be able to be around a woman who is very attractive.
- Verminophobia – Is a fear of germs. A person is constantly washing things including their hands.
- Wiccaphobia – This is the fear of witches, anything perceived as witchcraft, and even people that follow wicca.
- Xenophobia – People are afraid of strangers. A person with this condition may also be afraid of foreigners or even tourists
- Zoophobia – This is the fear of all types of animals
These are a list of the different types of phobias that a person may have. Some phobias are more common than others. A person can have a phobia of just about anything. If a person does find something they are terrified of they should speak to a mental health professional.
They can get help so that the phobia does not take over their life or their quality of living due to this fear. Do you have a phobia or know someone who does? what are they afraid of? let us know in the comment box below.